Exosome protein, RNA and lipid database
Exosomes are 30-150 nm membrane vesicles of endocytic origin secreted by most cell types in vitro. ExoCarta, an exosome database, provides with the contents that were identified in exosomes in multiple organisms.
Perform bioinformatics analysis of your extracellular vesicle data set using FunRich, a open access standalone tool. NEW UPDATED VERSION OF FunRich available for download (12/09/2016) from here
External links of interest to the extracellular vesicle researchers
Want to contribute to ExoCarta?
We will keep ExoCarta updated with new exosome studies. We would love to have scientific community participation in any of the following ways.
Send unpublished exosome proteome/RNA/lipid datasets (it can be made private until published)
Point out an exosome publication that we missed
Contact us either to upload your exosome data or point to us if we have not added any published exosome study.
Keerthikumar, S., Chisanga, D., Ariyaratne, D., Al Saffar, H., Anand, S., Zhao, K., Samuel, M., Pathan, M., Jois, M., Chilamkurti, N., Gangoda, L. and Mathivanan, S. ExoCarta: A web-based compendium of exosomal cargo.
Journal of Molecular Biology. 2015.
Simpson, R.J., Kalra, H. and Mathivanan, S. ExoCarta as a resource for exosomal research Journal of Extracellular Vesicles. 2012. PubMed
Mathivanan, S. Fahner, C.J., Reid, G.E., and Simpson, R.J. ExoCarta 2012: database of exosomal proteins, RNA and lipids. Nucleic Acids Research. 2012. PubMed
Mathivanan, S. and Simpson, R.J. ExoCarta: A compendium of exosomal proteins and RNA. Proteomics. 2009. 21, 4997-5000. PubMed
1. Simpson RJ and Mathivanan S. Extracellular Microvesicles: The Need for Internationally Recognised Nomenclature and Stringent Purification Criteria J Proteomics Bioinform. 2012. PubMed
2. Thery C, Ostrowski M, Segura E. Membrane vesicles as conveyors of immune responses. Nat Rev Immunol. 2009. 8, 581-93. PubMed
3. Keller S, Sanderson MP, Stoeck A, Altevogt P. Exosomes: from biogenesis and secretion to biological function. Immunol Lett. 2006. 2, 102-8. PubMed
4. Simpson RJ, Lim JW, Moritz RL, Mathivanan S. Exosomes: proteomic insights and diagnostic potential. Expert Rev Proteomics. 2009. 3, 267-83. PubMed
5. Record M, Subra C, Silvente-Poirot S, Poirot M. Exosomes as intercellular signalosomes and pharmacological effectors. Biochem Pharmacol. 2011.10, 1171-82. PubMed
6. Cocucci E, Racchetti G, Meldolesi J. Shedding microvesicles: artefacts no more. Trends Cell Biol. 2009. 2, 43-51. PubMed
7. Schorey JS, Bhatnagar S. Exosome function: from tumor immunology to pathogen biology. Traffic. 2008. 6, 871-81. PubMed
8. Mathivanan S, Ji H, Simpson RJ. Exosomes: Extracellular organelles important in intercellular communication. Journal of Proteomics. 2010. PubMed
9. van Niel G, Porto-Carreiro I, Simoes S, Raposo G. Exosomes: a common pathway for a specialized function. J Biochem. 2006. 1, 13-21. PubMed
10. Johnstone RM. Exosomes biological significance: A concise review. Blood Cells Mol Dis. 2006. 2, 315-21. PubMed
More exosome articles .....